Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Rain Song

Part of growing up is learning to deal with grief. And to understand, that sometimes we need to go through certain emotions to see things in life that we would have otherwise passed-by laughing.

If there's one song that truly defines the worst nostalgic feeling that I'm glad to have had, it's "The Rain Song" by Led Zeppelin. Composed and produced by Jimmy Page in response to George Harrison's (from the Beatles) comment that they never made any ballads, and as a tribute to Harrison the opening notes were taken from one of Harrison's own ballads. Finally, Plant added some lyrics to it, keeping the mood intact. Throughout the song, nothing is rushed through, Page takes his time with every chord and arpeggio, with John Paul's keyboard and the violin effects pushing the slightest breeze in the background, and Plant, with his rare quiet demeanor in this song adds just enough so as to not over do it:
I've felt the coldness of my winter
I never thought it would ever go
I cursed the gloom that set upon us...
But I know that I love you so.

These are the seasons of emotion
And like the winds they rise and fall
This is the wonder of devotion-
I see the torch we all must hold.
This is the mystery of the quotient-
Upon us all a little rain must fall.
Just a little rain?
Ooooh, yeah yeah yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment